You are what you eat

I'd like to share with you Get Gabbie readers this blog post I submitted to Renovatereflections.com. 
It's a beautiful website filled with inspiration posts. I encourage you to explore! 

In those days when there again was a great crowd without anything to eat,
Jesus summoned the disciples and said,
“My heart is moved with pity for the crowd,
because they have been with me now for three days
and have nothing to eat.
If I send them away hungry to their homes,
they will collapse on the way,
and some of them have come a great distance.”
His disciples answered him, “Where can anyone get enough bread
to satisfy them here in this deserted place?”
Still he asked them, “How many loaves do you have?”
They replied, “Seven.”
He ordered the crowd to sit down on the ground.
Then, taking the seven loaves he gave thanks, broke them,
and gave them to his disciples to distribute,
and they distributed them to the crowd.
They also had a few fish.
He said the blessing over them
and ordered them distributed also.
They ate and were satisfied.
They picked up the fragments left over–seven baskets.
There were about four thousand people.

He dismissed the crowd and got into the boat with his disciples
and came to the region of Dalmanutha.


"Where can anyone get enough bread to satisfy them here in this deserted place?" 

The answer is... we can't. We will never have anything that will satisfy us perfectly on earth. 

But when going to mass we have the  privilege of receiving the sacrament of the holy Eucharist. When consuming Jesus, body and blood, we are simply "taste tasting" what eternal satisfaction is.    

“It is written, ‘MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE,BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH 
OF GOD.’”


At Mass we are blessed to have both. What do I mean by that? I mean the word of God through the scriptures as well as the Eucharist. The Bread of Life. 

We are so blessed! 

I have been reading Ordinary Lives Extraordinary Mission, a book everyone probably wants me to stop going on and on about but I can't because there is so much in it I want to share! I highlighted a very profound sentence.   

"At Mass, we have the opportunity to become what we eat."


Mind blown! Holy cow. Seriously though, I have chills just rereading that.

Jesus died for us because He LOVES us and before he died he took bread and wine and turned it into his body and blood! People, this is called Transubstantiation.

 (OH! I didn't even have to ask my computer to help me spell that word. That is awesome!)

Back to talking about Transubstantiation... The changing of bread and wine into Jesus's body and blood.

And at Mass we get to receive Jesus. Truly receive Him into our bodies!

The next step is to become what we just received. What we just ate. To become like Christ.

No, we cannot get enough bread here in this deserted place we call earth. BUT we can humble ourselves so we can experience the real deal in heaven. Amen?

Comments