Race to win

From the book Ordinary Lives Extraordinary Mission, (yes, it's pretty much the only book I quote)

"The race of life isn't an individual race; it is a relay race."

We're all trying to get from point A to point B. 

However we're operating from a mindset that tells us we have to get from here to there by ourselves.

The quote says the race of life is not an individual race. Plain and simple. 

The quote goes on to say it is a relay race. 

What is a relay race? 

A relay race to me is a race where you are competing with  others NOT against others.   

I once had a conversation with my mom... I mean I have had lots of conversations with my mom but this one particular conversation has to do with me rambling on. 

I came to her flustered and frustrated. I was trying to who knows what but I think plan my whole life out from point A to point B. I was literally looking at life like a race. I had to do that to get there and get there to do that and the cycle never ended. I was never stopping and smelling the roses. I was just racing myself dead. 

To me this quote is a smack on the cheek, a wake up call, a Biff Tannen "Hello? Anyone home? Think McFly! Think!" 


Life is precious.

It isn't a race.

After having this conversation with my mom, and after she was done knocking on my head saying "Think McGab THINK" I was finally able to understand. ;) 

Do not start calling me McGab. 

Sometimes I still get in a hurry and forget but then I have to remind myself to slow down and trust in Him.

He's on my team. 

I picture the relay races I never want to participate in, such as the ones at the 4th of July out in Greencreek I-dee-ho, due to fear of failure and complete humiliation. 

I can just visualize myself in a three legged race or some kind of relay race and falling in slow motion and crawling to the finish line.

Knock - knock.

Who's there? 

Reality.

Reality who?

Reality, don't you remember you were in a relay race at youth group sometime in highschool, and was the last one to complete the race and everyone was watching and your sweet friend Kasia who has a nifty and super fast electronic wheel chair sped past you while you were jumping through hool a hoops but the wheels on the wheel chair snagged the hoop you were in and you went down to the ground and were dragged the rest of the race while the rest of the kids laughed their heads off. 

Shouldn't have answered that knock knock joke.

Oh that was rough to relive again. 

Anyway relay races really suck when you do them by yourself. However with Jesus, with God, you are not going to be dragged  through the hall on carpet or get a rug burn or get laughed at. You will succeed. You will soar. You will win. 

If God is for us than who will be against us? 

But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us.
    But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us.  For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8:37-39 

Comments