Lourdes France

Today is the beautiful feast of Our Lady of Lourdes. 

I cannot believe it has been almost five years since my family, Fr. Bruce and I went on our pilgrimage to Lourdes. 

Want to learn more about Our Lady of Lourdes and St. Bernadette? 
Check out the link below.

Some of you may know my story with Lourdes some of you may not.
I'll tell it again just for kicks.

In 2010 I asked my mom if we could go to Lourdes with Make A Wish. She made the call but unfortunately at the time they were not doing international flights. 

I still got to make a wish and second best to Lourdes, France was Disney World. 
It all panned out. ;) 

When family, friends, our parish and community heard about my "wish" to go to Lourdes they all came together to make it possible. 
It was unbelievable!

My family and I were going to Lourdes at last for the miracle I was desiring. 

I was granted special permission by our bishop to be confirmed early. 
My confirmation name being St. Bernadette. 
Fitting for the journey ahead but also because I have always loved her saint story.

I was homesick before we even left home. 
I was excited but sick to my stomach. 
This was happening. 

What if I was going to let all these people praying for me down? 
What if I am not healed? 
All this for nothing...

The pressure was on. 
I could feel the weight of the world, and the gravity of fear working against me. 

I wanted this trip but as I was there I wasn't so sure. 
Again fear. 

I hated the attention of it. 

My guess is St. Bernadette was tired of  the attention too. 
Not that we're anything alike. She being a saint and me being well...a work in progress.

I did not want to disappoint or let anyone down. 

I did not want to disappoint or let myself down. 

It was like swimming against waves to enjoy and simply just be while I was there. 

Though the memories are what will forever be engraved on my heart. 

The beauty of Lourdes cannot be described with words. 

Truly it can only be experienced. 

How blessed am I to have had my desire become reality. 

When I went into the baths at Lourdes I remember saying over and over and over and over again
Please. 

The water was freezing...fifty some degrees! Burrr! 

When you get out of the baths you aren't given a towel to dry off. Why? Because there is no need to. You're dry!

If you ever talk to anyone who has gone to Lourdes and into the baths they will tell you the same thing. Just another amazing miracle.

I was hoping, wishing, bargaining, praying that my eyes would be instantly healed in the water. 
That my energy would be fully restored.
For healing of all my body's needs.

Alas the healing did not come as I was wanting...wishing..expecting...hoping. 

But I do believe it came. Came, softly. And still continues within. 

I didn't believe that then but today is not that day to go into all of that. 

I give God glory and praise for His healing hands that are constantly working in my life.
In my body, in my eyes, in my heart and in my soul. 
He is there within me, healing my every hurt. 

And He is there within you too doing the same. 

  “Ask, and it will be given to you; 
seek, and you will find; 
knock, and it will be opened to you."

Matthew 7:7 


  










Our Lady of Lourdes, Pray for Us! 

Comments

  1. That was my best trip ever! You're such a great person, Gabbie: I just don't know how Joe ever did it!! (I guess God had something to do with that, right?) May God bless you in every way. Fr. Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure was a trip to remember! It's a good thing to have my Momma! ;) God's blessings with you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment