Wedding bells

I'm getting married! No. Not exactly. Not even close. But it got your attention ;) 

However it is that time of year where couples are either getting married or they are planning their upcoming wedding. 

When one thinks of a wedding the first thing that comes to mind is typically the dress. Or maybe the reception. Am I right or am I right? 

I am 100% guilty of getting excited about wedding details. I love hearing what the wedding colors are, who is in the wedding party, what the first dance song is, and so on....  Who doesn't love talking about details of the bride and groom's big day?!? Okay, most people don't think like I do or get excited over the same stuff I do. Ahem, eating out & weddings. (Those two interests of mine really shouldn't be in the same sentence...)
 
Everyone either oohs and awes or criticizes the wedding ceremony/reception. It's all about impressing people these days! Who had the most guests, best food, prettiest decorations, most expensive dress, blah, blah, blah... This is what a wedding is all about, right? WRONG. 

A wedding isn't about wars between different brides. It's not about the style or price of a dress. It's not about what the reception will entail. It's not about any of that. That is all fluff! And it could lead to becoming a bridezilla. Sadly it has taken me until this past Saturday to realize that. 

My family and I attended our dear friend's daughter Stephanie and her husband Philip's wedding ceremony this weekend. My sister Jordan was the maid of honor and two of my best friends Danielle & Elizabeth (Steph's sisters) were bridesmaids. Stephanie glowed radiantly! I have never seen a more beautiful bride! Jordan, Elizabeth & Danielle looked amazing! Of course it didn't take a wedding to define their beauty but it didn't hurt anyway :) 

Steph and Philip are an inspirational couple. Their love for each other is genuine. One of the many beautiful things about these two is that their not just devoted to each other. They're devoted to Jesus Christ. 

Though everything & everyone was simply gorgeous at the wedding that was not their first priority. They made the sacrament the center of their day. The center of their marriage.

I was near tears yesterday at mass. (I don't normally cry at anything.) Witnessing their love without them even having to use words was truly beautiful. It was an honor to be a part of. 

For the first time in my seventeen years of living I have found the true meaning of a wedding. It's not about saying yes to the dress. It's not about the bridesmaids. It's not about being unique. It's about a three way relationship between: bride, groom and God our Father. 


I'll still continue to pinterest and get excited about weddings but I will understand now that no wedding is perfect. Above all things keep God first. 

Philip are you sure you don't have an 18 year old brother??? ;) 





     

Comments

  1. You are such a sweetie Gabs! It was really nice to see you at the wedding. We miss you bunches! And I wish Philip had a younger brother!!! Amen sister! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post... I'm sure every single girl at the wedding was praying and hoping that Philip had some young, male relation. But alas, we're out of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No kidding. Dang it Phillip... hahaha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment