Grieving

My last post was not very like me. However I needed to write what I felt.

The past week has been difficult. Some things I rather not go into detail about but will say broke my heart. Left me hurting. The pain continued to grow as the week continued.

I found out one of our dear elderly friends had passed away. She wasn't doing well health wise but though it wasn't shocking it still hurts to know our sweet Mary Joe won't be bodily present on this earth anymore.

We traveled to Pocatello this past weekend for my uncle's wedding. On the day of the wedding we found out that one of my classmates Justin has died tragically in a car accident. I didn't know Justin that well, but my Frei & Rehder family did. Not to mention all the families at summit who were friends or family with Justin.

Two deaths in one weekend really has taken a toll on me. It's hard and very painful when anyone dies. I think one of the reasons I am shaken by Justin's death is because he & I both had just graduated. He had so much life to still live.

One of the scary things about the reality of it is that it could happen to any of us.

Last night Fr. Paul invited friends and family of Justin to come together for a prayer service. It was beautiful to see and be with all those who Justin had touched in his life time. Father spoke with us about how hard death is and how it is okay to cry. He specifically told that to the boys. Our world is all about how real men don't cry, and that is not true. It's okay to grieve through tears, or through punching pillows. We're not expected to hold it together in times like this.

Father Paul asked if anyone had any stories or memories with Justin that we were welcome to share. Had you been present you would've heard he was always trying to include people, never leaving someone out. From the sounds of it he was always in a good happy mood and made everyone he was around feeling the same way.  

I opened my mouth to say, "I didn't know Justin but I do know he touched a lot of lives." It was obvious even to a stranger like myself that Justin is loved and will be missed.  

My heart goes out to the Dempsey, Frei, Chmelik families.

Comments