TAKEN for granted

Last night I watched the movie Taken with Liam Neeson in it. In the words of my father, "Every man's nightmare yet every man's dream." Super intense, I loved it!

It was eye opening to see the evil and "business" operation of human trafficking. My heart broke and sobbed for those women, and their families. I was extremely disturbed at that the thought of this. is. real. There are evil people out there who operate like this and call it a living... I want so badly to forbid it. To stop human trafficking for good! But all I can do is pray. Yet, prayer is a great weapon, and I think I take it for granted too often. I should be praying constantly for this to end. (Not just human trafficking. End to abortion. End to Planned Parenthood. End to war. End to our freedom being taken from us etc.)
And so last night as I was falling asleep I asked Jesus to write this prayer for an end to human trafficking on my heart. That it be forever prayed for and heard.
I ask for St. Maria Goretti's intercession. For St. Michael the arc angel to fight for us, and these victims. And I ask St. Josephine Bakhita, who is the patron saint of human trafficking, to lead us in victory as we conquer the devil.

(If you aren't familiar with these saints I suggest googling them. They have movies on both St. Maria Goretti and St. Bakhita. Their stories, their lives are inspiring! Do get to know them! Catholic or not!)

This morning at mass Father's homily was on taking things for granted. Like the mass. Are we just in our norm? Or do we delight in getting to worship freely in a Church? People in our world today are stripped of this great gift. Told to hide their faith. Refused to be allowed to receive the precious body and blood of Christ in the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist! Do we not understand what we are receiving? Obviously not!

Fr. Paul said when he was growing up, at communion the blood of Christ was distributed but maybe five times a year. He said the first time he got to receive the blood of Christ he clapped his hands with such joy! His mom said no making noise in church, and quietly like a mother would, shushed him. But I have to say that is the sweetest thing! Taking such joy and excitement in this wonderful sacrament! Not taking it for granted.
Just because we have it, doesn't mean we shouldn't appreciate it. Rather we ought to let our heart's dance with joy for such a gift!

What other things are we taking for granted? Who are we taking for granted? How can we put on our new self  (Ephesians 4:24, today's second reading) and appreciate all God has given us?

 
     

Comments