Alms giving

My first grade students and I have been fundraising money for children in Africa.

This fundraiser was all Max's idea. Though he is not in our class, I suggested to my first graders that we should help Max help these children.

On the day we made our commitment to helping others a little hand was raised during prayer. (Right after we had just talked about going home and sharing with our parents the good we are trying to do.) No, the little hand was not mine. (Though my child sized hands or "baby hands" referred  to by siblings, are barely bigger than theirs.)

The hand belonged to one of my 11 favorites, Colt. (To make things clear, I have 11 students.) 

We stopped prayer and I asked Colt what he needed. 

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a quarter. He said he just found this in his coat or jeans (not remembering exactly which clothing article it was) and wanted to give it to the kids in Africa. 

I could have blubbered right then and there. However he and the rest of the class might have made a pact about not bringing money to release time because their teacher would turn on the water works every time a dime was donated. Jus' saying. 

This week we had three students bring money! 

Drum roll please, for our three days of fundraising total...


 Two dollars and thirty five cents! 

Pretty impressive :) 

For those of you, parents and siblings, thank you in advance as well as thanks for the donations we have so far!  

     

Comments