The Passion

I watched the Passion last night. Wow. I feel anything I could say about this movie would be an understatement. What I will share however is that all throughout the movie I deeply connected with our Mother Mary. My eyes filled with tears watching her and her son, her own flesh and blood, bond. His love for His mother is beyond touching. http://youtu.be/R_6tJ9qk9SY
I am surprised to say I did not bawl during the scourging or the crucifixion. I sat curled up in my chair, safe from harm, thinking to myself how great is His love for me! For those of you who are familiar with Jesus of Nazareth the movie filmed from way back who knows when, know that Jesus' body during the crucifixion looks like a walk in the park compared to the realization of what the soldiers and people of Jerusalem really did to our Lord. His body was beat and broken. What we think is bad enough to stub our toes or get punched in the arm is somewhat comical. Our Lord was spat upon, punched in the face, his eyes swollen shut. He was scourged with whips holding metal like claws. Those strides the soldiers took not only to his back but flipped him over when his back was striped with bright red blood wounds. (Wounds doesn't seem to be the appropriate word. I'll let you imagine for yourself.)
I don't know about you but when I get a paper cut and wash my hands I complain of the stinging feeling. Can you even begin to imagine your whole body torn and full of sand in those foot long rips? I am describing to you only the beginning. We're not even on the road, excuse me, dirt path crowded with angry men and women. Growing up praying the stations of the cross I only thought Jesus fell only three times. No. It's not possible. In his condition he fell, time and time again continuing to find a foot in his mouth or his face. The only place for Jesus to find rest was at the top of that hill, the place he'd be crucified. I don't believe I'd call that rest. Christ was nailed to the cross. Hands and feet. Shoulders dislocated. The drunken soldiers then flipped the cross (not gracefully I might add) but flipped it so Jesus would be hung faced down. Again I am going to bring in Jesus of Nazareth the movie because in that film we watch the crucifixion and think Jesus died right away after being nailed to the cross. No.  He hung there on that tree until every drop of blood was poured out. Every drop. I had never thought about it that way.
As I posted yesterday I had a feeling that watching the movie would be life changing, yes it was.
I am so glad I watched this movie. I am thrilled to say that I see Jesus in an even stronger new light!

Comments