Kisses from Katie

I just got done reading a crazy book called Kisses from Katie. The book is about a single young woman who longs to go to Uganda and is called to be a mother of 13 adopted children. (Not including the foster kids she takes in and anyone who comes to her for help.) I won't say I personally connected with everything in the book but the love for these kiddos and obedience to God are mind blowing!
While reading I kept wanting to know how to send things over to help these people.
Yes, I am blessed. Blessed beyond what I deserve! I feel however that the "poor" are more blessed than I. Not in a "they have in better than me" way because that would be a lie but because they are dependent on one day at a time. I'd have liked to say dependent on God, (which I am sure most are, but so I am not to step on any toes...)
How is it that I who have a house, food to eat, money to blow, a car to take me places, and the power to do as I please be so cautious toward trusting the Lord? Their are human beings who are trying to live on trash they can sell for food, having to walk from village to village, no job, no family, yet they are the ones who say, "God will provide."
Doesn't this make you feel like we take so much for granite? It does to me.
When I have to climb the stairs I sprawl out on the couch and say I am exhausted. I have a big house with seven people living in it and yet I wish I had my own space. I don't have an allowance but I have plenty opportunities to make money. I am spoiled. Families as big as mine are stuffed into a room like a can of sardines. Can you imagine? It's bad enough watching an ancient movie and saying, "Talk about bad breath!"
I haven't even told you about how little I think about being blessed with great doctors. These people are lucky if they can afford to even be looked at by a doctor. The health conditions over there are appalling! Next time I fall down I am going to have to remind myself I don't have scabies, or jiggers (whatever that is, doesn't sound good) or ringworm. Thank the good Lord when I have to change a poopy diaper I don't find tape worms the size of earth worms in the poor babies waste. Praise Jesus when I want to take a shower I can! Reading about the four year old children who weigh four pounds is terrifying. Not to mention the grandmothers who are 85 pounds soaking wet.  
Whats wrong with this picture? Everything! All I want to know is how can I help?!?
Do I personally want to travel to Africa? No. However can't I either make a donation of money or supplies?
Right now I am looking into the whole thing but if you're at all interested in either reading the book or getting involved here is the link: http://amazima.org/
How awesome it is for one person to make a difference in someone's life! Thanks for taking the time to read.

Kisses from Katie

Comments