The Assumption into Heaven

Yesterday's feast day, and Holy Day of Obligation was The Assumption of Mary into Heaven. Meaning Mary our Mother, was taken up into heaven body and soul.

All day I was thinking in my mind of one of my favorite childhood memories.

Mom would drive Jordan and I in our late red Toyota Camry every morning down the road from our little house to Filer elementary when I was in preschool through first grade. On the road from our home to school, we would start our day with a morning prayer offering in the car. At the time I am sure I didn't really want to understand, nor could at that age, the prayers we prayed every morning.

Our routine was the St. Joseph prayer, Act of contrition, and the day offering prayer.

St. Joseph Prayer

Oh, St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God. I place in you all my interests and desires. Oh, St. Joseph, do assist me by your powerful intercession, and obtain for me from your divine Son all spiritual blessings, through Jesus Christ, our Lord. So that, having engaged here below your heavenly power, I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of Fathers.
Oh, St. Joseph, I never weary of contemplating you, and Jesus asleep in your arms; I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press Him in my name and kiss His fine head for me and ask him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath. St, Joseph, patron of departing souls - Pray for me.

Act of Contrition
Oh my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended You, and I detest all my sins because of Your just punishments, but most of all because they offend You, my God, Who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Your grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin. Amen.

Morning Offering 

Oh my God, I offer You this day, all I think, or do, or say. Uniting what on earth is done by Jesus Christ Your only Son. Amen. 

Then we would always finish with Mom asking Momma Mary to wrap her blue mantel of love around each of us.

Yesterday I kept picturing the Blessed Virgin holding me in her arms.

I love this visual! But it's more than just a picture in my head. It's real.

She is wrapping us all in her mantel. She is protecting us from harm, as she did Jesus.

When we cry, she cries. When we laugh, she laughs! She is there to hold us close to her heart and bring our burdens and worries to her Beloved Son.

Mother Mary, I ask you to wrap your blue mantel of love around each of us, keep us from harm, and above all keep us close to you and your Son Jesus.

Yesterday, August 15th was Mary's feast, but she is to be honored every day!



And Mary said:
            “My soul exalts the Lord,

      And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.
      “For He has had regard for the humble state of His bondslave;
            For behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed.

      “For the Mighty One has done great things for me;
            And holy is His name.

      “AND HIS MERCY IS UPON GENERATION AFTER GENERATION
            TOWARD THOSE WHO FEAR HIM.

      “He has done mighty deeds with His arm;
            He has scattered those who were proud in the thoughts of their heart.

      “He has brought down rulers from their thrones,
            And has exalted those who were humble.

      “HE HAS FILLED THE HUNGRY WITH GOOD THINGS;
            And sent away the rich empty-handed.

      “He has given help to Israel His servant,
            In remembrance of His mercy,

      As He spoke to our fathers,
            To Abraham and his descendants forever.”

~Luke 1 





 

Comments