Suicide is not the answer

We're under attack.

In the past couple of days I have either seen statuses or read articles, or watched videos related to suicide.

Suicide is death by choice.

By choice.

My heart cries at the thought of choosing to throw away the precious and valuable gift God gave us.

But suicide isn't just a choice that comes and goes. It has been the death of many and will continue to be the temptation of many as well.

This thought breaks my heart.

I have become very aware over the past few years of how broken each and everyone of us is. All in different ways.

Whether it be not fitting in, depression, not feeling capable or worthy, self hate, choosing the wrong crowd, making bad choices, bodily harm, bullying etc... We're all victims.

What good we do with our brokenness and suffering is what matters.

Take it from someone who maybe doesn't suffer nearly as much as others but the little I have, had driven me to the edge. I chose to go face to face with the devil's lie of taking the easy way out of this world. No I didn't have a full fledged plan, and no I didn't write a suicide letter. If anything at the most it was more of a threat and a self pity way of thinking. It scares me and shames me even to this day that I let those thoughts enter my mind.

It scares me that I have had friends confide in me of their own past stories of attempting suicide. Is life even worth living? When this question enters a severely broken person's mind the answer they are thinking is, "No. No, it's not."

Suicide is real. It's happening every day. I don't even want to know the numbers...

It doesn't just effect the one who takes his or her own life, it effects everyone. Maybe people one doesn't even know.

Suicide is not a "get out of jail free" card. Though that is what it has been used for.

A video I came across left me dumbfounded. A woman with brain cancer, and the worse kind, has planned her death the day after her husband's birthday. She will swallow a pill and that will be the end of it. She will go the way she wants to go and it will be peaceful and painless.

I hurt and feel for this woman. I have been praying, praying, praying for a change of heart in her. How scary and painful this road of this kind of suffering must be.

In a response article from a different woman battling cancer,
"Because in His dying, He protected my living. My living beyond this place"
"More importantly, will you hear from my heart that Jesus loves you.He loves you. He loves you. He died an awful death upon a cross so that you would know Him today that we would no longer live separate from Him and in our death. He died and His death happened, it is not simply a story.
He died and He overcame death three days later, and in that overcoming of death He overcame the death you and I are facing in our cancer. He longs to know you, to shepherd you in your dying, and to give you life and give you life abundant- eternal life."

There are so many ways of looking at this woman's choice in taking her own life. I hope when you watch and/or read her story you'll see the value of life rather than seeing it as being "her choice" to take her life. 

I am sharing a link where you can read the rest of Kara's letter to Brittany. She too is dying she says, yet has no intention of assistant suicide. My friend Kristine shared on facebook a personal note on the subject...
Why is this issue so important to me? Because I've seen this kind of suffering firsthand. My dad lost his fight nearly 3 years ago to the very same brain cancer that Brittany has- glioblastoma multiforme. Witnessing his bravery changed my life, and has transformed the lives of so many people around me. He chose to bear his suffering humbly and with grace; I pray that Brittany chooses to do the same.

This bible passage comes to mind... 

But He was pierced through for our transgressions,
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him,
And by His scourging we are healed.
All of us like sheep have gone astray,
Each of us has turned to his own way;
But the Lord has caused the iniquity of us all
To fall on Him.
Isaiah 53:5


Seeking prayers for Brittany, her husband, her mother and her family. That by the grace of God her heart will be changed. And seeking prayers for Kara as well. Prayers of healing and peace as well as prayers of thanksgiving for the voice she is to the world. May we all follow her example and speak up. We may change and save lives!


Pope Francis asks us to pray.

Let us join him in asking for healing of all who are ready to end their lives.





http://www.refinery29.com/2014/10/75714/brittany-maynard-dignity-death

 http://www.aholyexperience.com/2014/10/dear-brittany-why-we-dont-have-to-be-so-afraid-of-dying-suffering-that-we-choose-suicide/



Comments