Strange fruit


Some of you can already guess the topic I am about to write on. 
For those of you who do not know, I warn you this is not a funny or light topic at all. 
I hesitate on writing at all. 
However recently I watched a Touch By Angel episode that shared the meaning of Billie Holiday's song Strange Fruit. 
I had never heard of Billie Holiday before then. 
My stomach turned as I listened and visualized the lyrics.
Not something young children need to hear. 
Yet something all people to need know.

What happened then can not be forgotten.
Believe it or not, things like this still do happen in the south. 
One can't block out or pretend none of this happened or is happening.
They can't protect their children from truth. 
Not saying small children should have this in their minds at this age but to teach them the truth with blinders on is not truth at all.

So many people try to fluff and make pretty what is gory and somber. 
Ignoring the problems won't do anyone any good. 
You can only look the other way for so long.

What is wrong with our world?
Where we will discriminate our fellow brothers and sisters just because of their skin color.
Treat them like dirt. Beat brutally.  
Take away everything. Homes, food, spouses, children and then their lives.
Ripping from them their pride, dignity and free will. 

I am ashamed. 

And Our Father in Heaven is crying as He watches His creation gang up and destroy fellow creation. 

I pray you are not racist.

Yet even though you and I claim to be against murdering innocent people we still choose death.

Sin.

Every time we sin we are hammering a nail into Jesus' precious body. 

We may not see the blood on our hands but it is there. 

Jesus wants to wash us clean. 

Through forgiveness.

Stop murdering. 

 Stop discriminating. 

Stop judging others.

Choose life. 

Now, I ask you to join with me in prayer to pray for those who are being killed in our homes, our country, in our world. 

Prayers also for all who have condemned and still hold hatred and rope in their hands. 

May God take this strange fruit and turn it into greatness. 

This I ask, 

Amen. 
  
  


Comments