Different

Watching Little House on the Prairie the episode called "The Music Box." Anna, the little girl who only wants to be in Nellie Olson's club is made fun of for her stuttering speech impediment.

My heart breaks. Yes, I know it is a Betty Crocker happy ending t.v. series from the 70s but it is better than half the crap kids watch now a days. It has good morals.

People are cruel. As if the person doesn't beat themselves up enough for being unique...When someone else points out the obvious it's like pouring salt in an open wound.

I'm going to be frank here and say, being different really sucks.

I'm short. I'm diagnosed. I can't gain weight easily. I don't see my eyes as beautiful. I don't go to college. I don't drive. I pop pills... The list goes on.

I'm the type of person that would rather be just one with the crowd. Or at least that's what I've been feeding myself. I love my Team Gabbie, and heck, not going to lie, I do love attention. But the spotlight for what makes me apart from you is not the attention I want. Am I saying I don't want a Team? NO! You're what has carried me this far! Don't twist my words ;)

I know however that God sees my differences as beauty. I believe that. It's hard for me to see them as that but I know it is true. My abnormal life is hope for someone else.

My point I'm trying to get across here is that words hurt. Actions sting. People are different. We all know that.

Skin color, medical issues, family background, poor in spirit, same sex attractions, physically or mentally delayed, pregnant out of wedlock, alone, self harming, underweight, overweight, too tall, too short, depressed, disabled, hard of hearing, desperate, afraid.

We are all similar through our differences.

Earlier this week at my mom's cousin's funeral our parish priest spoke right to my soul. His homily was of coursed focused on the man we mourn. He spoke about the way Heath followed Christ. He loved everyone for WHO they are. He didn't judge.

Why do we put people in boxes? Seriously. Why? If you have a mind like my own you automatically "categorize" the people you come in contact with.

 Fr. Paul made it clear to me that a mind set like that is not the way to follow Jesus. He is right. Jesus didn't look at the people's criminal records, report cards, or passports. He looked into their eyes and saw their hearts. Not their appearances nor their behaviors. Simply who they are.

So who have you been a Nellie Olson to? In what ways do you feel Anna's pain?

Will you be the difference that makes a difference?


Comments