Carry Me

At RCIA, we watched a video interviewing Jason Everett. What I took to heart was him saying, "Jesus isn't waiting for us at the finish line. He is with us in the battle field!"  

So often we think we have to be perfect, we have to do everything ourselves, and if we don't Jesus will be disappointed. This is the wrong way of thinking! Jesus doesn't want us to do things on our own. He wants to take on the struggle with us!

For the past week or so, my sisters and I have been watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Every time I watch this beloved movie, I can't help but wonder why Samwise, Frodo's friend, and God send, doesn't get the credit he deserves. Without Samwise Gamgee,  Frodo would be a lost cause. He'd be dead. He would not have succeeded at what he was set out to do. And yet Frodo gets all the credit...

In the movie, at the end, when Frodo and Sam are almost to the top of Mordor, where Frodo must destroy the ring before it destroys him, Frodo suddenly stops and cannot go any further.
He is tired. He is hungry and thirsty. He is confused. He is burdened. He feels hopeless. He is dying from exhaustion. He cannot carry on.
Samwise, who cannot carry Frodo's burden, literally picks up his friend, and cries out, "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" That's the part where the music gets intensely beautiful and you want to cry and you remind yourself that's what a true friend is...Samwise, the ultimate best friend. 

So no, Samwise doesn't get any film captured applause. But he did the heavy lifting and the dirty work. And the same with Jesus. When we are tired, worn, beaten up, depressed, feeling like we can't go another step, Jesus carries us!

Jesus isn't waiting for us to stride across the finish line. Rather He, Himself is holding us in His arms, as He walks from the battlefield across the finish line.

Jesus doesn't seek attention. He seeks you! Jesus doesn't want perfection. He wants you!
When it is hardest to move forward remember His love. Remember He will protect and carry you.

"I have nothing left, but I still have my heart, and with that I can always love."
- Blessed Chiara Luce Badano 

Comments

Post a Comment