Agape love


Why is it that one who is so loved can feel unloved?

Why is it that those who act in love don't feel love at all? 

Why is that people use love instead of spreading love?

I think the answer is not knowing what love is. 

Our world today is so caught up in selfish love. "What's in it for me?"

When really love is sacrificial.

Think for a moment about the classic romantics, Romeo & Juliet, for example, they wanted what's best for each other. Wait, no they didn't. They were selfish. They killed themselves. Bad example.

Think about someone else...Where on earth am I going with this? I have no idea. Oh yes...

Everyone you just thought of  might sacrifice a little.

Think of who sacrificed a lot. So much he poured out his love from a cross in every last drop of blood. He was selfless. He is love. He is Jesus.

But we forget that. We look for love in romance novels, in music, in companionship, in food, in what brings us "joy".

However, Jesus, I am pretty sure wasn't too thrilled to hang on that cross. But he did, because he really loves us.

We need to learn and live Agape love, the Greek word for sacrificial love.  

We love best when we love selflessly.  

Though selfless love, Agape love is not easy.

We tend to want relationships, we want to be loved, we want to fantasize about love, and love freely to feel loved.

We were made to love not be loved. 

A very humble man told me this and I don't think I will ever forget it. If I told you who that humble man was I would never hear the end of it.

So here is to living like Jesus. Loving like Jesus. Striving to become like Jesus.

 Love came down:

Comments