Nurture the Heart

When we visited the Sisters in New York I met one of the first year Novices Sr. Mercy. She is a doll! Sr. Jordan Rose told Sr. Mercy how much I love little children and of course the stories that come with. So Sr. Mercy told me a story of her little nephew.

Sr. Mercy and her family including her nephew went to daily mass. Her nephew who is two or three was disappointed at there being no altar boys at daily mass that day. He announced out loud, "No altar boys!"
Then it was the part of the mass (The Transubstantiation) where the bread and wine are transformed into the body and blood of Christ. At this time both the Eucharist and the chalice are elevated. On Sundays though we have altar boys (or girls) who ring the bells at this moment. Well Sr. Mercy told me that her nephew said in a big voice, "That cup ain't working!" Meaning he thought the chalice was what made the bell noise. "That cup ain't working!"

So yesterday at Sunday morning mass I found myself saying the same thing. The bell didn't ring and I thought of Sr. Mercy's nephew saying, "That cup ain't working!"

Oh how I love little people and how their minds and hearts work!

The reason for this blog other than that adorable story is this...

Right now I am reading a book called The Shed that Fed a Million Children by Magnus MacFarland-Barrow.

 
 
It's a true story of a man who started Mary's Meals and grew to feed a million children. Of course there is so much more to the story and I haven't even finished reading. But anyway this book is so inspiring! However I keep asking myself, how can Gabbie do the same amount of good for these kids and families that Mary's Meals are doing for the World? I find myself stumped.

Oh how I would LOVE to mother these children and feed them both food and love! But I'm just one person. One very small person. One very timid person of leaving home. Of no medical education or stamina that can nurture these children the way they should be nurtured.

What do I do?

Well on the most recent page of this book that I read I absorbed these two words... "Romanticizing poverty." Is that what I am doing? Not necessarily but I am letting poverty be more about myself rather than those who are living in it.

I could spend the rest of forever wishing I was well enough, good enough to be in other countries being hands on. Yet there is poverty even in our own country. In our own towns. In our homes.

I may not be doing anything amazing or medical like I'd love but I am going to try and strive to do the little things that count too.

Even if it's donations or old fashion prayer. My heart is in this!

Mother Mary, you who know poverty, heal and tend to your little children. Through your Son's name. Amen.



   

Comments