It's not about me

Somewhere I don't remember where..maybe it was in a homily, at a talk I went to, or something (I'm pretty sure it was a Sunday mass homily) but I remember hearing,

"We are to bring out the best in others rather than ourselves." 

Wow. This blew my mind for some reason. I've always been very anxious about sharing about myself and what's going on in my head rather than learning about the other person. SO yes, where ever I was and who ever said it, gave me a good slap across the face to wake up and stop being so darn selfish.

This past weekend I went canoeing with our fabulous Camas Prairie Young Adult Group. I only rowed for a moment, literally a moment, but still managed to get soaked and have fun with the best friends a girl could ask for. :)  
(John, Rachael and myself in our "blonde" canoe) 

I admit though that my strength was testing me. Testing me and comparing me to everyone else. Why was I comparing myself to anyone in the first place? Good question. Human nature I suppose. But I was thinking of myself rather than others.  


Then I went up to Cottonwood butte with my siblings and friend John.

 "We" decided to hike up to the tallest peek to see an incredible view. Not a very long walk from where we parked but it was rocky, uphill, and I was functioning on no sleep, had achy muscles and no energy to climb to the top with everyone else. I had my moment of "I shall pretend to stop and smell the prickly flowers, prick my finger and whimper in my head about feeling like a poor weakling baby who can't keep up." So that was fun beating myself up for a minute and a half until... Maddie and John come running back down the hill, chasing me, (not kidding, I ran down hill) and I was forced upon John's back to be carried to the top. Manhandled. Again. The trip back down hill consisted of Maddie baby cradling me down hill. I am just a cat toy for anyone taller than five feet, and stronger than someone who isn't strong. There I was thinking about who again?



Earlier in the day Maddie and John had been composing and playing musical instruments and I have no talent in that department. So I took a nap. I'm good at naps.


Anyway bet y'all are wondering when I am going to get to the point and what my obsession is with cute little duckies. This video of this duck is making my neck hurt. Go to sleep little ducky! 

...uhhh.

Oh yes. The point. The point is I had opportunity after opportunity to learn, encourage, enjoy the talents of the other person but I kept letting selfishness cloud my view. Don't get me wrong it's not like I didn't have fun because it was the funnest weekend ever!

Aw yes.

But it made me realize it's not about me. 
It's about looking for and bringing out the best in those around me.

So if this advice came from our parish priest like I think it did, I thank him kindly for the wake up call. It's not easy but it's better than being a sitting duck. 















    

Comments