Vinegar and Oil

From the book Present Over Perfect, authored by Shauna Niequist, I blog today on vinegar and oil.

"When you pray picture a bottle of oil and vinegar salad dressing. The vinegar sits on top of the oil. The oil at the bottom is rich and flavorful."

What does this have to do with prayer?

"When you begin to pray, pour out the vinegar first- the acid, whatever is troubling you." 

For me (Gabbie) it's the stuff weighing on my heart and shoulders.

The things I'd like to bottle up. My fears, doubts, loneliness, misunderstandings, the harsh stuff no one likes to claim.

"Admit the vinegar exists. Your heart will release, dropping into the hands of God, who holds it tenderly. Feel connected and loved though fragile."

The oil and vinegar is much like an examination of conscience.
Me: Okay, God, here is the stuff I'd like to ignore, that I am struggling with...

"You have to start with the vinegar or you'll never experience the oil. Don't ignore it. You have to pour out the acid before you get to the richness, and you can't get there unless you're willing to truly be seen, vinegar and all."

Me again: My struggles I would love to hide from you, God. But like the examination of conscience, let's get the vinegar out of the way first. That I may then soak up the oil God desires for me.

"This is the oil that women made in the Old Testament, harvesting and pressing olives for this rich green liquid. This is the grounding truth of life with God, that we're connected, that we're not alone, that life is not all vinegar- puckering and acidic."

"It is also oil, luscious, thick, heavy with history and flavor." 

How could I not want this oil that brings flavor to my life? 

Be real. Be bold. Be honest and vulnerable. 

"He doesn't ask me to show up and catalog my strengths. He doesn't ask me to show up and abuse myself for my failings. He asks me to bring my whole-fragile-strong-weak-good-bad self, and that starts wot vinegar and it makes a way for oil."


"Each time we acknowledge our brokenness and bring it to God for healing, we have a new opportunity to experience God's love and power." Richard J. Hauser, SJ. Taken from Moving in the Spirit.  

St. Mother Teresa said, 

"You need only ask at night before you go to bed 'What did I do to Jesus today? What did I do for Jesus today? What did I do with Jesus today?' You have only to look at your hands. This is the best examination of conscience."

Vinegar and Oil. 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment